Hallo there, mate!

"Hello, you've reached Lydia's blog, this is Lydia speaking, how may I help you?"

Friday, January 2, 2009

BAND YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT: Flogging Molly



Don't let the title wrap you around a concept of domestic violence, or, if your vocabulary is out-of-whack, bamboozle you, Flogging Molly is definitely not what you would expect.
With lyrically-apt original songs, and covers of other timeless Irish folk, this seven-piece Celtic punk band has some tricks up their sleeve anyone would enjoy. Fronted by the ex-heavy metal band's vocalist Dave King, Flogging Molly started in 1997 and has since released a total of seven albums, along with being featured in oodles of TV programs and films, video games, and commercials, including Gilmore Girls and PS, I Love You.
The music says it all, really, with instruments rarely found in anything even remotely punk, such as the fiddle, bodhran(yes, I did have to look that up to see what the heck it was), banjo, spoons (who knew you could play spoons?!), tin whistle, along with many, many more I can't get my head around. The lyrics also vary quite dramatically, with subject matter ranging from love to politics to getting drunk in various pubs to the Roman Catholic Church, if you can imagine that.
So, really, what's not to love? Look 'em up! Do it! Now! 
Well, look there. It's 2009. I don't know that I experienced any 0f 2008. I find this slightly disorienting. 

-Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment